Thursday 5 November 2015

Oktoberfest ist Wunderbar!

I have yet to make it to Oktoberfest in Germany, but it does remain on my international travel bucket list. In the meantime I will enjoy little Oktoberfests in other parts of the world. First was London, this time around was the largest Bavarian festivities outside Germany in Kitchener-Waterloo. We attended the Alpine Club Festhallen and although we were a bit underwhelmed at first, it quickly became a great afternoon.

Welcome to Oktoberfest

Alpine House Oktoberfest

I was aware that Molson's Canadian sponsored the Oktoberfest in Kitchener-Waterloo, so I wasn't really expecting to have much options. To my surprise and delight Rickard's had a special brew and a stone fruit cider that I thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe too much so?

Lederhosen Beer

Oktoberfest pretzel and beer


The small venue had a stage with a 3 person band; Keyboard, accordion, and guitar. We figured there wasn't going to be much else entertainment, but we were wrong. There were traditional dancers doing lovely traditional dances. My favourite was chopping wood to the beat of the Bavarian tune with occasional knee slapping and stomping moves.

Bavarian Dancing

Bavarian Dancing

Bavarian Dancing

Bavarian Axe Dancing

Bavarian Dancing

German Hat

Onkel Hans made an appearance!

Onkel Hans

The Band

There was a bell playing lady, who's dream had always been to play at an Oktoberfest. She was so excited to be there!

The Bells

Next there was the food: schnitzel, sausage, potato, sauerkraut, and cabbage roll. The Alpine Club is famous for their Apple Strudel, but sadly they had run out by the time we made our way to try it ourselves.

The schnitzel

Schnapps was the only way to fill the apple shaped void; chocolate raspberry schnapps to be exact.

The Schnapps

The lineup

With 17 Festhallen I can certainly go back next year and have a different experience. I think first though, I'll need to procure some Bavarian attire!

Have you ever been to Oktoberfest in Germany?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...