Wednesday 20 December 2017

Things to do in Toronto When the Weather Turns Cold

When the cold weather first settles on the land I find myself craving more time inside, tucked up away under a cozy blanket with a hot beverage. I have to really make a conscious effort to force myself to leave the house. Winter is far too long to hibernate away especially this early in the season (winter hasn't even officially started!!) and particularly when there are so many great things to do out of doors at this time of year.

I've written a similar post a few years ago about the festive things to do at this time of year, but in this post I'm revisiting this idea with some Toronto-centric places in mind to help us Torontonians get out there more in the last few days of the holiday season.

Historic Distillery District Christmas Market
There are only a few good Christmas markets in the GTA (in my opinion) and fewer still which run longer than a single weekend. The Distillery District Christmas Market is one of them. And although it can't compare to a true Bavarian Christmas Market, I do very much like visiting this market at least once each season, it's magical at night and, well, there aren't too many options here in the City. (Last day of the market is December 23, 2017)

Checking out all the Trees and lights
My favourite thing to as the days grow shorter and shorter is to seek out holiday lights and Christmas trees and I wander the dark streets looking for the glittering colour of the twinkling lights. This means attending tree lighting evenings and going to the Gardener Museum's annual 12 Trees exhibit. (Exhibit ends January 7)

Stride by The Hudson's Bay Windows
As a child, each Christmas we would head down to downtown Toronto and the Eaton's Centre where I'd sit on the knee of the real Santa Claus (or so that's what I was told) and tell him what I truly wanted for Christmas. Then we would head outside to stare into the decorated windows of the Simpson's store (now Hudson's Bay). For as long as I can remember they've always decorated the street windows with whimsy and Christmas magic I looked forward to seeing them each year. Even now, I get a surge of excitement when I catch a glimpse of the crowds gathered around the glass and need to press through them to see for myself.

Skating at Nathan Phillip Square
The last time I went skating was a few years ago at Somerset House, but for as long as I've lived in the Toronto area I've never been skating at Nathan Phillips Square, until this year, that is. And it was fun! Any reason to get out there, right? (Public skating runs until March 19)

Don't miss a post! 
Sign up for email posts (found on the sidebar), like my facebook page, or follow me on bloglovin'. You can also keep up with my instagram feed and I occasionally tweet.

Let's get social

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's discuss!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...